Configuring Cisco 7940/7960 to work with SIP requires several steps. First, download the latest version of software update here: http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/sip-ip-phone7960Next, create a configuration based on the pattern described below. When the phone has downloaded this information from TFTP-server and is on, it's ready for work. Let's describe step by step. When the phone has downloaded this information from the TFTP-server and is turned on, it is ready for use. When the phone is on, it requests the following information from the TFTP-server:
.cnf. Example of configuration file for separate phone:
# SIP Configuration Generic File
# Line 1 appearance
# Line 1 Registration Authentication
# Line 1 Registration Password
# Line 2 appearance
# Line 2 Registration Authentication
# Line 2 Registration Password
####### New Parameters added in Release 2.0 #######
# Phone Label (Text desired to be displayed in upper right corner)
phone_label: ""; Has no effect on SIP messaging
# Line 1 Display Name (Display name to use for SIP messaging)
line1_displayname: "User ID"
# Line 2 Display Name (Display name to use for SIP messaging)
####### New Parameters added in Release 3.0 ######
# Phone Prompt (The prompt that will be displayed on console and Telnet)
phone_prompt: "SIP Phone"; Limited to 15 characters (Default - SIP Phone)
# Phone Password (Password to be used for console or Telnet login)
phone_password: "cisco"; Limited to 31 characters (Default - cisco)
# User classification used when Registering [ none (default), phone, ip ]
Parameters setup from Cisco IP phone menu
Certain parameters can be set manually using the Cisco IP phone menu. By default, the settings in Cisco IP phones 7940/7960 are blocked. To unblock, you need to enter a password, which is set in the configuration file. Do so by clicking Settings > Unlock Config. To block click Lock Config or Exit. Then save the changes made to parameters and the phone will be rebooted. Besides main settings, such as IP-address TFTP-server address, SIP parameters should be set in manual settings. After unblocking the phone's settings, select Settings > SIP Configuration. In the next menu set line1_name, proxy1_address, proxy1_port according to the information detailed above. If the phone should be authorized on a SIP proxy server, enter line1_authname and line1_password. By default, it is set as UNPROVISIONED.
Time settings shold be set from common configuration file, example for Moscow:
time_zone : BT
dst_offset : 01/00
dst_start_month : April
dst_start_day : 1
dst_start_time : 02/00
dst_stop_month : October
dst_stop_day : 1
dst_stop_time : 02/00
dst_stop_autoadjust : 1
DST – dates of day-light saving time correspondingly.
- The last file of software update
- Dual-boot file (OS79XX.TXT)
- A configuration file created specifically for this phone (MAC-address included in name)
- Configuration file by default
- Ring-list file
- Dial-plan file
- dhcp option #1 (subnet mask)
- dhcp option #3 (gateway by default)
- dhcp option #6 (DNS-server address)
- dhcp option #15 (domain name)
- dhcp option #50 (IP-address)
- dhcp option #66 (TFTP-server address)
- SEP.cnf.xml – Created on TFTP-server file SEP.cnf.xml which has the following data (software update version): <device><loadInformation>P0S3-08-2-00</loadInformation></device> Phone checks the version of its software and, if it mismatches with specified version, updates it.
- <Software update version>.loads – if the version matches, the phone uses the file which already exists in memory, specified in file SEP.cnf.xml.
- OS79XX.TXT – this file provides compatibility of phone switching between SIP, MGCP or SCCP using the same TFTP-server.
- SIPDefault.cnf – default parameters all phones, settings are described further.
- SIP<MAC-address>.cnf – parameters of specific phone, structure is described further.
- RINGLIST.DAT – lists files with ringtones and their location.
- dialplan.xml - consists dial plan. It can be sent to phone with the help of Notify (NTFY) in Event-header.
- line1_name – number or Email address, used in registration. Number should be without hyphen, e-mail – without host name.
- proxy1_address – IP-address of SIP proxy server, used by phone.
- proxy1_port – Port number of SIP proxy server, used by phone.